INTENT TO EMPLOY
POSITION: PEER TUTORS/MENTORS
(Position Contingent Upon Continuation of Grant)
Tutors/Mentors: Must currently be enrolled as an undergraduate at a local college/university in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) field.
• Earned at least a B in course(s) to tutor or proof of placement in higher course required.
• Have current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher required.
• Must be in good academic standing required.
• Received written recommendation from faculty in related course(s) to tutor/mentor required.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
• Good interpersonal communication skills and ease in relating to people from a variety of educational, cultural, and social backgrounds required.
• Must meet all employability requirements of the college required.
Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate through their experiences and accomplishments:
- An understanding of and commitment to the philosophy and mission of a community and technical college.
- A sensitivity and commitment to cultural diversity.
- The ability to handle multiple tasks and various situations in a calm and professional manner.
- A commitment to teaching and learning, where recent high school graduates, adult students, and non-traditional students are involved.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Tutors/Mentors must adhere to all employability requirements of the college for student workers.
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal communication skills and ease in relating to people from a variety of educational, cultural and social backgrounds.
- Willingness to find common time availability to accommodate the needs of the student.
- Provide support, encouragement, and information to students in their department
- Able to commit to the role of a tutor for the entire academic semester.
- Able typist where typed notes and other typed documents are required.
- Participate in classroom activities and assist the teacher as necessary.
- Assist other college personnel in developing, organizing, and sustaining tutoring initiatives.
- Track student tutoring for project evaluations and annual reports.
- Submit reports to supervisor as requested.
- Retain and submit documentation as requested to support accreditation efforts.
- Assume other work-related responsibilities as assigned by supervisor, Dean of Student Support Services, and/or the President.
SALARY: $10 per hour (10 hours a week)
This position is responsible to the supervisor, Dean of Instructional and Student Support Services, and/or the President.
YOUR APPLICATION PACKET SHOULD INCLUDE:
A completed and signed DSCTC application.
transcripts for the required degree and higher (unofficial copies will
be accepted before the closing deadline but official transcripts must be
on file before an offer of employment). Transcripts must include
conferred or awarded date.
One signed letter of recommendation. Letters dated within the past three years, or letters without a date, are acceptable.
All applicants must have on file a completed application packet by the deadline date. From all the applications received, a screening committee will select the applicants to be interviewed. Interviews will be by appointment only. Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in written English as part of the on-campus interview process. All applicants must adhere to the College’s prescribed interview schedule and must travel at his/her own expense. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from the criminal background check. J.F. Drake State Community and Technical College is an active participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify electronically confirms an employee’s eligibility to work in the United States as required by the Department of Homeland Security. Verification of Employment letters will be required after an offer of employment has been made. Verification letters must include the applicant’s beginning and ending dates of employment, employment title, and indicate if the employment was full or part time. Part-time employment verifications must state the number of hours worked per week. This information is required within fifteen (15) working days of acceptance of an employment offer.
J.F. Drake State Community and Technical College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the official policy of the Alabama Community College System, including all postsecondary community and technical colleges under the control of the Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees, that no employee or applicant for employment or promotion, on the basis of any impermissible criterion or characteristic including, without limitation, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, disability, sex, age, or any other protected class as defined by federal and state law, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. J.F. Drake State Community and Technical College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees. The College reserves the right to withdraw this job announcement at any time prior to awarding. J.F. Drake State Community and Technical College compiles information about safety and security and publishes an annual report. This report can be found on the website by accessing the crime and safety report link. The link can be found on the Drake State home page by clicking on the “About Us” tab and then selecting the “Campus Security Report” link. A copy can also be obtained by contacting the Director of Operations at 256-551-7268.