Veteran & Veteran Dependent Students – Getting Started

Applying for Veteran Educational Benefit:

  1. Determine which federal VA educational benefit program(s) you qualify for.
  2. Compare the monetary assistance provided by each VA educational benefit program.
  3. Gather the information and paperwork needed for your benefit program.
  4. Complete the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) (Federal Benefits)
  5. Complete the ADVA-5s (AL GI Dependent Students) (State Benefits)
  6. Request copies of your discharge papers / separation documents (DD214)
  7. Have official copies your military transcripts sent to Drake State

Applying for admission to Drake State:

  1. Review the information on the Drake State Admissions website for the application process and criteria.
  2. Review the policy on Veteran/Dependent residency . Residency status must be established during the admissions process.
  3. Complete the Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA), which must be submitted to be considered for any financial aid.
  4. Review the costs, scholarships and financial assistance available to all students.
  5. Apply for admission to J.F. Drake State Community and Technical College
  6. Meet with the Veterans Coordinator to finalize your Veteran Benefit file.