Veteran & Veteran Dependent Students – Getting Started
Applying for Veteran Educational Benefit:
- Determine which federal VA educational benefit program(s) you qualify for.
- Compare the monetary assistance provided by each VA educational benefit program.
- Gather the information and paperwork needed for your benefit program.
- Complete the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) (Federal Benefits)
- Complete the ADVA-5s (AL GI Dependent Students) (State Benefits)
- Request copies of your discharge papers / separation documents (DD214)
- Have official copies your military transcripts sent to Drake State
Applying for admission to Drake State:
- Review the information on the Drake State Admissions website for the application process and criteria.
- Review the policy on Veteran/Dependent residency . Residency status must be established during the admissions process.
- Complete the Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA), which must be submitted to be considered for any financial aid.
- Review the costs, scholarships and financial assistance available to all students.
- Apply for admission to J.F. Drake State Community and Technical College
- Meet with the Veterans Coordinator to finalize your Veteran Benefit file.