Pay for College with Financial Aid

There are many financial aid options to help Veteran or veteran dependent students pay for college. Explore financial aid opportunities through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs for students who qualify:

GI Bill®
Post 9/11 GI Bill®
Veteran Affairs Work Study Program
Veteran Readiness & Employment
Apply for VA Benefits & Healthcare
VA Education Benefits for Survivors and Dependents
Alabama GI Dependent (AGID) Scholarship
My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship for Military Spouse

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Funding Beyond the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs

There are many financial aid options to help pay tuition and other expenses related to school. Students are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office for help finding and applying for financial aid.

Financial aid through federal and state grants can be awarded to students who demonstrate a financial need through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Drake State’s institutional scholarships are competitive scholarships based on academic performance. Students may also seek external scholarships available through a variety of companies, organizations, foundations and private individuals. 

Institutional Scholarship – Academic
Institutional Scholarship – Blue Eagle Ambassador
Institutional Scholarship – Leadership
Senior Adult Scholarship

College Work Study
Drake State students who are Pell eligible can apply for part-time jobs at the college to earn money to help pay education expenses.

Student Loans
Drake State does not provide loans to students. However, student loans are available through lending organizations like banks. These loans must be repaid and typically include additional interest.

Emergency Relief Funds
Students who have experienced COVID-related financial challenges related to any cost of attending school (tuition, food, housing, health care, mental care or childcare may be eligible for assistance through federal or state emergency funds.

For more information contact the Financial Aid Office at (256) 551-7270 or

How to Submit Your 2021-2022 FAFSA